Monday, March 05, 2007

A Sunny Taste of Spring

Yesterday was sunny, clear, and utterly springlike in Hong Kong. After weeks of gloomy hazy weather, it's almost too good to be true and we are so aching to get outside!



Warm breezes and lovely blooming bauhinias trees greeted us along our scenic drive uphill the southern coast. In no time, we found ourselves at a quiet beach near Stanley. The waters is still somewhat chilly to paddle in so we just took off her shoes and let Jasmine played on the sand. She was skeptical at first but soon enjoying the feel of sand and wiggling her little toes into it...



You've probably seen enough of my baby and wondering by now if I have any real knitting to report... Well, the answer is yes! Knitting in warm weather or sandy beaches has never been a problem for me, as long as it's not woolly or anything huge, like Lady Eleanor. In fact, I was having quite a good productive afternoon knitting away aside a huge stone, until Jasmine finally came to interupt *join* me with her messy little fingers.



Anyway, it's a Trellis Cardigan from Knitty that I've just started with some Dune Bouton d'Or in Thé (Tea or a pale green) in the smaller size. I'm using a bigger yarn and hopefully this would fit my 18-month toddler. Dune is a chunky weight cotton/acryllic blend at 3.5 spi, just about the same yarn that Siow Chin uses for her little nephew's knitted log cabin. I saw them on sale at a LYS for US$2 a ball and just had to grab some even though the saleslady wasn't quite too eager to serve me.


So what about my Knit-from-the-stash commitment? Game over? Not really cos thanks very much to those who have helped with my current round of Spring Destash Sale - I'm having a comfortable amount of destash funds sitting in paypal and actually planning to shop some spring/summer yarn. Some of my destash items are still available, so please take a look if you're interested. Thanks and bye for now. ;o)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw, I enjoy seeing pictures of your little cutie. It think it must be such fun to be a little kid discovering things like sand for the first time. The world must seem so amazing!

Good for you for trimming down your stash! Now enjoy some re-stashing guilt free!

Krista said...

It looked like a lovely day! Your daughter is so adorable.

Anonymous said...

The cardigan looks beautiful -- that color is perfect for spring.
Your daughter is a cutie pie! =)

Sue said...

Jasmine is such a cutie pie, and they grow up so quickly. I love the photos of her, and the Trellis looks quite nice in that color.

Anonymous said...

Did you get the yarn at Cheerwool?

Anonymous said...

Jasmine looks like she's enjoying herself immensely. Maybe I should take the boys to the beach for some mostly-hassle free knitting time too! ;-)

opportunityknits said...

What a clever idea - keep the little one happily occupied for some blissful knitting of your own. And one should never turn down good yarn at a bargain. New yarn doesn't count if it gets knitted up right away :)

handknit168 said...

How pleasure to knit under the warm sunshine at beach.

Mimi said...

It looks like you had a great time in the beach! We are having a very cold and wet weather here in Taiwan. Perfect for knitting with wool but I am already working with knits.;)

You did a good job on your husband's cabled sweater!

chookie said...

she's gorgeous!!

Tandi said...

Hi- I saw your link from the Destash blog. Your daughter is so cute! And the Trellis is looking beautiful. I love the yarn you've chosen.

Jackie said...

U actually knit on the beach ??

Love the yarn colour too. Is it cotton yarn ?

Did u get it at Cheerwool ? My sis is having her holiday in HK till 6/4/07. If yes, i will ask her to buy back.