Monday, February 18, 2008

Baby/Toddler Sweater Dress Pattern

NOTE: Errors in the pattern has been corrected and updated as of Jan 9, 2009

Fall inspired, I made this up for Jasmine. Knitted all in one piece, bottom-up with a seamless (and painless) set-in sleeve shaping, minimal finishing, and you can easily size up or down with thicker/thinner yarn to suit your child.

We love the dress length that gave her some extended coverage and kept her snuggly warm without wearing a jacket. Just simply perfect for the playground :)



Size shown: 2T
(approx 26" chest and 18.5" overall length)

Yarn: 250-300g of bulky yarn or use 2 strands of worsted yarn held together

Gauge: 12sts x 18 rows

Needles: US#10.5, #11 and #12 (6.5/8.0/9.0mm) dpns

or 40cm/60cm circulars


 Pattern (pdf) available for download here and on Ravelry

Have fun!

11 comments:

Nikki (Mother of the Devil Child) said...

The dress is gorgeous Maryann - I love the pics you posted on Ravelry with Jasmine wearing it. She is just gorgeous.

I just sort of used the pattern... more inspired by the picture and knitted something vaguely similar using a top-down construction. Thanks for the inspiration!!

Nikki

kellie said...

I'm having a hard time right now. I've knitted the body of the dress, and I've done this part:

"Joining body and both sleeves: start with the
body, k36 from body and place the next 4 sts
on holder #1, k20 from first sleeve and place
the rem 4sts on holder #2, k36 for body back
and place the rem 4 sts on holder #3, k20
from the second sleeve, and place the rem
4sts on holder #4. Knit 2 rounds in St st."

but what do I do with all the holders? And do I really do the 21 rounds of decreasing and then the shoulder shaping part? Help! please!

kellie said...

Actually... I think I figured it out. Thanks.

Just to verify - for the bottom of the sleeve, I should just sew that together? My email is kelliekress@gmail.com

Jenny said...

What a gorgeous little person and lovely little dress.

ray said...

I love your blog, Maryann! Is there a simple way to make this sleeveless? Is it simply a matter of binding off stitches in some strategic way? Thank you for such a gorgeous pattern!

ray said...

This is such a pretty dress, Maryann! Is there any way to do this sleeveless? Is it a matter of strategically binding off and picking up? Thanks for such a gorgeous pattern!

Uovos said...

I made this for my grandaughter, Lucy aged 2 1/2 She looks great in it. I used a boucle merino wool purchased from Touch Yarns
Mary

Uovos said...

My daughter bought some merino boucle wool from Touch Yarns and I made this dress for my 2 2/1 yr old grandaughter. It is a bit big for her yet but very cute

Uovos

Suzy said...

Oh the sleeves. What a chore. I see you haven't responded to posts about this Maryann, bummer. Going to get some advice on how to go a different route.

Anonymous said...

I would love to make this for my granddaughter, but was wondering if you have any suggestions on how to make this for an 18 month size? Thanks!

Andrea Morton said...

Hi,
I am looking at your toddler sweater dress and would like to know what
ssk stands for. All help appreciated.
Andrea